February 12, 2006

Party of Three

Last weekend three of my friends turned 30. They did a ‘three’ themed party. Guests were to bring gifts (to be judged in a contest, no less) with the theme of three. The party was from 3-6 pm on Saturday.

When I stopped off to get three cheeses (practical and boring), I was distracted by a sale at the Dutch Connection. I bought three each of three kinds of flowers for each friend. As much as possible I matched flowers to personality. The florist kindly, at no additional charge, whipped my odd assortment into a lovely arrangement. At the party we had to stand up and explain our gifts. I think my explanation is what won me one of the prizes: “These cute, self-contained flowers are for M, the yellow roses with red tips (for friendship and passion) are D, and the fun pink ones are for K”. The self-contained guy tried to joke about it, but I think he was a little hurt. I tried to re-emphasize the ‘cute’ part, but I doubt it sank in…

I thought the best gift came from the art students. When they heard the theme, they thought of three blind mice. So, one of them sacrificed her gloves and made mice dangling from a carving knife. The other two brought blindfolds and cheese (so it’s a good thing I switched my gift!!)

No comments: