February 22, 2006

I'm in 'go mode'

Meaning that despite my butt growing fatter by the minute in this chair, my mind is racing around town doing errands. I have a house guest arriving tonight and staying through Sunday. She leaves, we breathe for 24 hours, then the in-laws arrive Monday. Mom K insists that she's coming so she can cook for us and just relax. Not go anywhere, no need to plan, just relax. For her it will be a vacation cause she can skip her nightly prayer meetings and hang out. For me, not so much. But I'm far more relaxed about it than I've ever been. Maybe not all the way into 'just relax' mode, but certainly not in "OH GOD, Jrex, YOUR PARENTS ARE COMING AND I'M GOING TO DIE" mode. I'm looking forward to them coming (really, I mean it). We are, however, expecting her to arrive with a car full of Chinese medicine "just in case" it might help us produce the grandchild they've anticipated for 8 years.

In any case, for tonight, in the next hour and a half (approx) I need to figure out what I'm cooking all weekend, go shopping for groceries, go to the hardware store and get a replacement shower head (during my cleaning frenzy this morning I seem to have taken the last legs out of the current one), and get home in time to sweep all the dog hair from every corner in the house. Not cause I need to impress this visitor, but because it's been driving me crazy for a while now. (Um, yeah, Jrex, meant to call you about the shower head, but it's been a busy day!)

I'm aware that I just use guests as an arbitrary deadline. It gives me incentive for all the little jobs I can't be bothered with the rest of the time. But I wasn't expecting the sudden arrival of the showerhead deadline. The annoying factor is that the bathroom was decorated in brass fixtures. Which. aren't. in. style. And therefore not. in. stock. I wanted to wait a year or two for fashions to shift!

I can feel 'go mode' even as I type. Hope you're breathing easier than I am!

2 comments:

OTRgirl said...

Exactly! It's why I'm a designer--I need deadlines as motivators.

Linda said...

Maybe you can make some stroganoff! And send some to me :) Ha ha.

I am awful. I ignore all deadlines and then sweep everything under the couch or in a closet when people come over. I'm like Monica from Friends with the secret messy closet.