February 3, 2006

Mom Advice, Part II

Remembered another tidbit on my drive in today.

I was a sophomore in college. Dating a guy who was talking marriage (hi, J.O.!!). Rather than argue or try to persuade me we were too young, Mom just said,

"Promise me to wait one year after college before you get married. Otherwise you go from the protective environment of home to the protective environment of school to the protective environment of marriage. [and yes, she really talked like that!] You need time to find out who you are on your own and know that you are competent without someone else to take care of you."

It all worked out in the end. J.O. and I are still friends, but I married a different J three years after I graduated. Yes, ma'am, you were right. It's good to know I can make it alone.

---------
One of the random things I'm very proud of is that all my ex-boyfriends, and Jrex's ex-girlfriend were at our wedding!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the honorable mention. :-) I've always been happy for you guys and do so think the best of you both! It was nice to see some of your mom's wisdom.
Grace and peace!
JO