May 10, 2006

RevGal Pals

I forget if I’ve detailed why we might have to move? Jrex’s advisor is waiting for written offers (which may or may not come) from Seattle and Stanford. If he gets and accepts one, the whole lab will have to move by August. At the beginning of April, his advisor asked all 20 lab members to consider if they could move with him. He expected an offer imminently and needed to get a quick response from people in the lab about their choice. Jrex’s funding this year and next is based on a grant in his advisor’s name. As they say, ‘follow the money’, and we would have to. However, we’ve heard nothing so far.

Which means we’re stuck in this limbo-land I keep whining about. One limbo item is my pastor’s request for me/us to think about me working as part-time staff for the church. He encouraged me to think about going back to school for counseling. He sees how much I invest in people and situations around me. If I were paid to do what I’m already doing, it might integrate some pieces of my life. My current boss was more than happy for me to work here part time and part time at church. I was seriously considering the possibility. But then we entered limbo.

In some ways because of the limbo, I’ve joined an on-line blog community called RevGal Pals: women serving in various spiritual/church capacities. I’ve never aspired to be a full-time pastor. Frankly, it’s never seemed worth all the headaches and politics. But I tend to end up in leadership roles in the various churches I’ve known. I’m a little tired of life feeling pulled in such disparate directions. I want to invest in something more meaningful than brochures, banners, and trade show graphics, but I’ve been thrashing around a bit to figure out where and what.

Perhaps, no matter where we live, I might venture in the counseling/ministry direction. Perhaps not. But while I’m waiting, it seemed good to ‘meet’ other women who’ve gone further down that road.

11 comments:

Pinterest Failures said...

Yikes--I can relate to the limbo. My husband and I have been through it, starting with his graduate school, up until this month when we figured out where we are moving. I wish I could say the limbo life gets easier, but it doesn't.

Hang tough.

weigook saram said...

Limbo is tough. It's also hard to be in a position where you have to uproot your whole life for your partner's sake. Hope the situation resolves itself in a way that works for both of you.

Snickollet said...

Waiting is so frustrating. It's nice that you've got the RevGal Pals to help you through it.

LutheranChik said...

Welcome to the RevGals. It's a great group...much more fun than "limbo.";-)

Linda said...

Come to Seattle! We have delicious coffee :)

Anonymous said...

Phil's words today: "The chance of jumping [going] is greater than 50%" but there are still no hard offers. Wish I had more news than that, but I don't. We can do nothing but wait. While speculating wildly. And gesticulating wildly. And sleeping little. Egad.

L.

OTRgirl said...

"Phil" being a pseudonym for Jrex's advisor. Well, greater than 50% is news to me! A nauseous feeling in the pit of my stomach just started! ;-)

And, Linda, I love the coffeehouse scene in Seattle (and my sister's family, and my brother), but I don't drink coffee... What a total waste, right?

asiangard said...

Thank you! :)

kwpershey said...

hey OTR Girl! Welcome to the Ring. I'm a fellow OTR girl... I'm seeing them on Monday in Hollywood.

Are you a member of the Orchard forum, too?

Anonymous said...

Isn't choosing the right calling a strange and funny
business? I've sifted through half a dozen ways to finance myself in retirement over the past seven years -- freelance writing, personal financial manager, proposal writer, legal writer --- and now theater and movie producer/writer with City-CURE. Well, it's a voyage of discovery to find what the Lord has in store for us.

The counselor work seems to be right on. Consider exploring it. And, have you considered becoming a Plan 4 Deaconess?

OTRgirl said...

Thanks for the suggestion, Dad. I hadn't considered the Deaconess option. Given Mom's frustrations with the Lutheran church (in the midst of her deep love of the Deaconess Association), it's hard to see volunteering for that. But I'll look into it.

For me, it's kind of like not applying to any Ivy League schools after your experiences at Dartmouth.