May 2, 2006

In case you were wondering

. . . I'm definitely not a Korean woman. The other day I was with a group of friends including three Korean women. One of them complimented my shoes. I said a simple thanks. The whole group started discussing how cute they were and began asking where I bought them. Knowing this would be like advocating a visit to a leper colony, I laughed, “I only buy trendy shoes at Payless. I can’t be bothered to spend money on something that will be out of style in a year.” The white people nodded and smiled; it made sense to them. The three Korean women frowned slightly and changed the subject.
----
I just reread this and realized I should clarify. It sounds like such a total (and slightly dismissive) generalization. It's obviously not true of all white people or all Koreans. One of my best friends (who is Caucasian) has a lovely collection of Danskos, Clarks, and other fun boots and shoes. She also frowns at my thrift store/Payless tendencies. My Korean husband, on the other hand, frowns on my shoe collection. "Why do you need ANOTHER pair of black shoes?!"

Lots of my friends of all races shudder when they consider wearing someone else's clothing. I grew up wearing hand-me-downs from other families. Thrifting just provides money as the exchange rate versus charity. In terms of Payless, I go there for the one or two season items. I have my own collection of Danskos, a pair of Frye boots, Doc Martins and a pair of Clarks. I get them on sale, usually from Sierra Trading Post. Those are shoes I will wear regardless of style or trends. Shoes to wear for years.

As I'm writing, I've realized I have no idea what point I'm trying to make with this post. Is it the fact that I found shoes that fool people of discriminating taste? Is it finding a great deal? Is it yet another reminder that despite a facade of sophistication or style, I'm still an awkward tomboy? Did I feel 'caught' with my cheap shoes? Hmmm.... have I mentioned that I frequently suffer from foot-in-mouth disease?

3 comments:

weigook saram said...

Ha! I totally know what you're talking about. But you're right, there are plenty of white people who are really into labels too, including a lot of my friends. And my husband couldn't care less about any of that.

Linda said...

Shoot, I'm the type of person that will say "I got it at ROSS! for like, 5 dollars!" I'm proud of my bargains :)

But I also like to buy nicer things, too. Just depends what it is and how long I think I will wear/use it. It's all about balance.

asiangard said...

:)