May 4, 2006

I've got the shakes, people

Two weeks ago, my cell phone died. That same night I scooted over to the Corporate Cell Phone Store (CCPS) to get it fixed. Most of my social contact, especially with out of town friends, occurs while I’m driving (yeah, yeah, I know that’s a bad idea, but really, I only dial numbers at stop lights. Oh shoot, it’s green. Hold on!).

The bad news: it was dead. Dead as a doornail. Dead. Dead. Dead.
The “good” news? In two weeks I was due for an upgrade so my next phone could be free.

Two weeks?! Two weeks without being able to call Jrex to say I was running late? Two weeks without my sister? Two weeks without my boss and/or ‘favorite’ client being able to reach me? Two weeks without chatting with my Mom-in-law (in-network is free, baby)? Hmm...

I decided to be 1) cheap, and 2) experimental. The experiment was what form my withdrawal would take. Would I rush home so I could call people? Start instant messaging? (I spelled it out so my Dad knows what I’m talking about. Hi, Dad!) Feel totally alone and neglected? (Should that read ‘neglectful’?)

The answer was none of the above. I felt restful. Quiet. I keep having these cycles where I feel totally drained and have nothing left to give anyone. I know this sounds like one of those ‘want cheese with that?’ statements, but in most conversations and relationships in my life right now, I’m listening more than I’m being listened to (perhaps the reason for the blog?). Without the phone, the balance shifted. I wasn’t taking on more than I could handle. I couldn’t call ahead to fill my free time. Couldn’t do the ‘check-in’ call that turned into an hour-long counseling session. Two weeks where Jrex came home and I wasn’t on the phone.

And yet. Last night the two weeks was up. I wanted a phone ASAP. We met at home to drive to the CCPS. While there, Jrex decides to upgrade also. They had a great two-for-one deal. The downside was the store no longer carries camera-free cell phones. So the phones are now fairly bulky. Jrex already has a text pager bolted to his belt. The last thing he wants is another thing to give him a faux jelly roll before his time. He decided he wanted to be able to put the phone in his pocket. Holy tool belt, Batman, get the Razr phone! I had no problem with that. It’s trendy, cute, and has a 1.3 MP camera. It was more than I needed, but ok, twist my arm. Then we found out we’d save $80 if we ordered on-line. Sigh. Now I'm waiting another 2-5 days to get my phone.

In case you’re up on these trends, I did NOT get the pink one.

Is there a gadget you can’t live without (or with)? A supposed convenience that has become an obligation? If it were destroyed, would you replace it?

6 comments:

Linda said...

Good job for making it the two weeks. That would have been torture for me, which is kind of ironic since I hate talking on the phone. I just like the idea that I have it in case something comes up and I need to call my husband/sister/parents/brother.

No pink? Heh

weigook saram said...

Wow, two weeks is a long time to be without a cell. Good for you. I have to admit I kind of like the pink one.

I couldn't live without the Internet. Is that a gadget?

Everblest said...

Adjusted to lack of service: moved from on top of hill with direct connection to tower about mile away as crow flies to hole under a hill with no cell service. Cell gets relegated to use on campus only mode. One trip into LL Bean jacket pocket filled with rain water and I am at phone store buying cheapo replacement phone and for what? So I can text "Vote" to American Idol star of the week.

I can't live without internet though..... cable modem baby!!!

Angie said...

I don't think I could live without ACCESS to the internet, though it doesn't have to be at home (I didn't have it at home until a few months ago). I could live without cable (didn't have it until the same time I got internet, and even now I don't really watch it because of my poor excuse for a tv). I could live without my cell phone, too, to be honest.

My cell phone, I'm told...is kind of cool...and it DOES have a purplish-tint to it. I didn't get that on purpose, it just does. Before I got this one though, I had the world's OLDEST cell, and my friends would constantly make fun of it. I'm not one to need the latest and greatest, though I generally know what it is...and wouldn't mind having it, I just don't think it's IMPORTANT enough to get.

Oh. And I don't even OWN an Ipod!

Angie said...

Having said all of that - let the internet go down at the house or the office, whereever I DO have access...and I'm a mean mess. It's my one vice.

Anonymous said...

I love not owning a cell phone. You can't miss what you've never had.

I think I would be okay without the TV and Internet too. But I have to have my library card!