April 24, 2006

Recommendations

Read a great book last Sunday when I was pouting. I was the author’s peer advisor at Hampshire. Granted that just involved one meeting followed by an outing to Northampton, but still!

-----
Saturday we watched this movie. It was a great reminder that the key to aging gracefully is to embrace your age, to be who you ARE not who you were.

Two years ago I dragged Jrex with me to see Marcel Marceau. When I was six, Mom took me to see Marceau. The show in Baltimore was a pale shadow of that memory. As a 60-something man he’d lost his power. He could have been fantastic if he’d focused on new pieces, but he tried to cling to the past and it didn’t work.

In the movie, Robert Redford plays an old curmudgeon. Since he wasn’t trying to be the older-man-seducing-a-younger-woman, the loss of his looks didn’t matter. In the end, his craggy, wrinkled face became handsome. I wasn’t comparing him to his younger self, I just enjoyed who he was in the movie. In contrast when I watch Harrison Ford or Sly Stallone still trying to be action heroes it seems pitiful. (Rocky and Rambo are in the pipeline for reappearances!) Don't fear aging. Just don't fight it either.

*Truth be told, I’ve never seen a Stallone movie, the trailers are enough!
-----

If you ever have a chance to help a friend move, and that friend wants to ‘pay you back’ in food, just say yes! Sunday, our friend made us dinner three (4?) out of six. She’s a fantastic cook and baker. It’s phenomenal to have someone deliver food hot to your doorstep. Moroccan Chickpea Stew, homemade flatbread, and carrot ‘cake’ bread for dessert. As I told her, we’ll help her move again any time!

-----
And finally, because truth is stranger than fiction, someone emailed me this site.

2 comments:

weigook saram said...

That book looks great. How cool that you know the author. I'll have to check it out.

Snickollet said...

Ooh, thanks for the book rec. Out of desperation, I'm reading Ethan Hawke's novel Ash Wednesday; my sister-in-law left it at the condo last time she visited. It's well and truly awful. I'm going to go put your recommendation on my library reserve list right now.