April 4, 2006

The Love Fest

Book Love


I leave Thursday to drive 8 hours into the wilds of upstate New York for an annual retreat. Eight. Hours. Last night I stopped by the library for a 'best of the worst' audio book. Usually it's a choice between young adult fiction and mystery/thriller. I was excited to find not just one, but two books on my ‘to-read’ list!

The Mermaid Chair

The Historian

===============

Car Love

While pumping gas, a dignified older man at the next pump turns and asks wistfully, “Do you like your car?”
I nod, “I love my Subaru.”
He nods slowly, “I loovvved my Subaru. Enjoy it while you can.” He turned back to a mini-van stuffed with car seats.
------------
The next morning as I’m getting out of my car downtown a black Mercedes convertible parks behind me. A white-haired businessman gets out, “Do you like your car?”
I nod, “I love it.”
He grins, “It’s my winter car. I like driving it better than the Mercedes. It handles better, it’s more comfortable. It’s such a great car.”

Phew! That just saved me $50,000!

2 comments:

weigook saram said...

I've always wanted a Subaru. Is that geeky or what?

I tried to read The Historian but couldn't get into it. A friend told me that The Mermaid Chair was okay, but not as good as her last book.

Snickollet said...

Oooh, I love my Subaru, too! I have a Forester. Love it.

Good to get some book recs. I've read a lot of duds lately.

Drive safely in your Subaru and enjoy your retreat.