December 30, 2007

My kind of shopping

I found out about this site today at church. A guy who lives here in Silicon Valley worked with Mother Theresa for a while. One of the guys there told him, "Don't come to the frontlines of poverty, we have plenty of foot-soldiers here. We need you to be a catalyst between people in the West and the poor here who want to work." It changed his life. He's created a website that sells goods produced by people who have come out of dire poverty. They work specifically with vulnerable women: single mothers and many women who have been involved in human trafficking.

I know it's too late to do your Christmas shopping there, but please bookmark the site (TradeAsOne.com) and consider it first when you're looking for purses, toys, bags, journals or housewares. Give a gift that tells a story and helps lift women out of slavery.

You can see the video I saw today at this link:

http://tradeasone.com/who-we-are/Watch.html

6 comments:

Beloved said...

Thank you. I love this. I did a lot of my Christmas shopping at taraluna.com. They carry a line of Peacekeeper cause-metics (lip balm, nail polish, etc.) which donate all proceeds after taxes to women's causes. It's just so nice to be able to feel good about shopping! :)

Anonymous said...

Wonderful. Thank you.

I'll be sharing the Trade As One web sites with the congregation tonight at our New Year's Eve service.

Rachel said...

Cool. Thanks so much for the link. Lately I've been thinking more about supporting individual craftspeople over big corporations when I shop, and this looks like a great place to start.

B.E.C.K. said...

Thanks for the link. I will definitely buy from this site!

Mama Nabi said...

Great! I am an online shopper so will check it out. Thank you for sharing! Every year, I lament that I don't do enough, if at all.

Sunny said...

I will do it. Thanks for this great post. See, shopping can be "deep" too.