August 12, 2007

Where I've been of late

It’s been a perfect storm for non-blogging. My new job is high-intensity with very low privacy. My project manager can watch what I’m doing from her desk. The train only stops at the San Carlos station once an hour, so I have no wiggle room to linger and read a little bit o blog before riding off to catch my train. In the mornings I’m trying to crank out some work before that same project manager arrives with her questions, whines and rants. Obviously, on the good side, it keeps me honest, but sheesh, I miss the occasional break to read about ya’lls lives.

The other factor has been that we’ve had a LOT of socializing this summer. No time to read blogs while driving two hours north to a wedding reception on the beach in Marin County.

Last night we grabbed dinner with a buddy of mine from grad school. He’s Indian and used to REALLY late hours. We met him at 8:45 pm, drove 20 minutes south into Seoul/Dehli and wound up at a hole-in-the-wall Pakistani restaurant. Great food, the best tandoori chicken I’ve ever had, but as my friend said, “It’s a very third-world atmosphere”. It was. We had to ask for tea at least six times before they brought us two cups (for the three of us), he had to ask for what he ordered twice. There was a crying baby, lots of loud chatter and not a single white person in the room. I loved it.

It turns out he’s really lonely. Most of his co-workers are older or married and none of them drink. He’s really excited to reconnect and has offered to have us join him and a manager from his job for flights around the Bay area. Apparently it’s only $25/person since the guy is part of a flying club. Hmm…fly down to Monteray for lunch? OK! Lake Tahoe for an afternoon boat ride? I’ll fit it in. The down side is, of course, it definitely won’t help my blogging.

8 comments:

Rachel said...

I've noticed blogland has been sort of quiet this summer. Sometimes it's good to unplug for a bit.

We used to eat at this place called Naan-n-Curry in SF and it was pretty similar. Great food, very cheap, terrible atmosphere. But we are all about the food, anyway.

Anonymous said...

If you can get y=to Lakr=e Tahoe I will meet you there :)

Anonymous said...

I live in Carson City, NV. About 25 miles away from Lake Tahoe.

Inkling said...

That sounds like so much fun! My beloved and I have been wanting to check out some of the authentic ethnic restaurants in Vancouver too. As for flying away for lunch or a fun date, go for it. That sounds absolutely fun and just the sort of spontaneity everyone needs at least once in their lives. =)

You made me laugh with the Alaska comment. We just watched a video on the Endurance polar expedition in 1916. I confess that despite my new canning habit, and my enjoyment of dabbling in the pioneer arts, I'm too girly to really be one of those rugged folks capable of eating penguins or sea lions. But you never know.....

scarp said...

I was going to complain that I miss your comments (very selfish, I know) on my blog, and miss knowing all about what is going on with you, especially now that I am blogging more...

....but then I decided that maybe it's only fair, since for months I got to read all about you before I ever even started a blog :)

And, just so you know, if FB does get his old job back, I am definitely looking for a weekend to come visit you (cuz that means there is enough money). But I don't have many weekends left if he's really coming the very 1st week of Oct, so we'll have to compare schedules soon.

Oscar1986 said...

I love lake tahoe, cool blog, good read. If you get a chance check my blogs out.

BetteJo said...

It really stinks when they expect you to spend ALL of your time at work - working! Sheesh!

Anonymous said...

You work at work, that is oh so novel friend, I've been known to say, "sure boss, just a sec, gotta finish reading this blog first!"

The flying sounds fabulous! Looking forward to those stories, and now I need some Indian food, thanks for the craving!

lots of love,
lil'sis