April 15, 2007

Seven reasons it’s worth $666 for Jrex to come to the funeral next weekend

  1. Since no airline offers bereavement rates anymore, our plane tickets to Kansas cost $666.60 per person! Fortunately, Dad is covering the cost of one of the tickets. I joked with my Dad that the ticket price was a sign we shouldn’t go. He agreed, “It’s clear the devil owns the airlines.”
  2. Jrex left Friday for a conference in LA. He won't be back until Wednesday. With the death of Snickollet’s husband, it’s set up a weird ‘what-if’ weekend. I don’t like it.
  3. Mom has been dead for almost 10 years. I know the boundaries of the hole and have healed around it. I know it’s there, but it no longer impacts me emotionally. Most of the time. Yet, a weekend full of her sisters will be a weekend of a new awareness of the hole. I like not being emotional anymore about not having a Mom. I don’t want to have to feel all this all over again.
  4. Yesterday my sister commented that she was glad Jrex was coming cause he could deflect or deter some of the ‘When are you having a baby?’ comments. I hadn’t even considered that scenario! Many of my aunts read the blog so they know not to ask, but we’re going to be among hundreds of relatives who have no idea. With my sister, her daughter and Numero Dos in the oven. It just begs the question, doesn’t it?
  5. My cousin D is coming, with his Japanese wife and mixed kids. I’m excited to have a cousin who also married Asian. I’m also glad for her sake, and their kids, that in the middle of Kansas, there will be at least one more Asian face.
  6. He’ll get to add Kansas and Missouri to the states he’s visited. I’ve been to 38 states now, he needs to catch up! Plus he'll get to see that Kansas really isn't flat. It does have rolling hills...
  7. I like him.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your loss.

My grandparents are also in Kansas. In 12 years of togetherness I've only managed to get my husband there once.

Rachel said...

I'm sorry about your grandmother. Bittersweet that you get to see your extended family at her funeral.

I hear you. My husband comes with me to see my family about every other time. I miss him a lot when he doesn't come, but it's hard to justify the expense. Your reasons sound persuasive to me, though.

Inkling said...

Those are all great reasons. It's funny, really. I did a lot as a strong, single woman. But now that I'm married, it's surprising to me how much I lean on my husband for moral support. Especially with family things. Husbands are like a warm, protective shield that way. I like that. And I'm glad you have that in your life. Yes, it's definitely worth paying the devil's price to have him in Kansas.

Anonymous said...

I was so sorry to hear about your grandmother. And I really hate it when one of those 'weird' days/weekends/weeks happens - nothing ever feels right until everyone is where they belong.

Anonymous said...

Man, the devil does own the airlines... It's always nice to have someone as a buffer when seeing relatives. Especially if you like that buffer.

Anonymous said...

Nice talking with you... :-)