August 3, 2006

Trudging along

A few days ago I sat back in satifaction after hitting 'save' on the last page of my on-line portolio. Then I received an email from my father detailing changes to almost every entry. He'd copied the email to my sister as well. She was mildly offended on my behalf though I wasn't upset at all. It made us laugh about all the letters my father's father corrected and sent back to us. (I once told him how much fun I was having during my sumer vacation and received by reply post an essay on the civilization of Sumer.) However, I was humbled and awed that my father would take so much time and care to help me.

Then, today, a designer friend came by and sat with me while we rewrote just about ALL the text on my site. Dad tweaked my own wording, she tweaked most of my concepts. It took 3 hours! I understand family being that kind, but am blown out of the water by MP's willingness to help me. She was able to target the language (and my thinking) toward a design audience (things like changing the word 'problem' to the word 'objective', etc)

How should I repay her kindness? (really I should be thinking of ways to repay my Dad, but that's a bit easier to figure out.) I gave her a ride to her car place today, but that hardly counts! Any ideas?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wasn't offended on your behalf, it just brought back memories of all of my high school papers.

Growing up with several editors in the family was interesting, however I do find that I now capitalize and punctuate even my IM messages. So good job Dad!

scarp said...

Do you know what any of this person's favorite things to do are? It is always great to get a gift certificate for something you love but consider 'an extra' and therefore don't actually spend money on that often.

Snickollet said...

I'm sure I'm weighing in too late on this, but I love to cook and I'm definitely a "show love and appreciation through food" kind of girl. Homemade cookies? Or a gift cert to a favorite restaurant?

I'm sure whatever you chose was lovely and much appreciated.