August 17, 2006

The Randomized Update

-This Saturday is the moving sale. We gave the couple buying our house the right of first refusal. And they didn't! Refuse anything. Which means we get to keep our sofa until we move! Also the firepit + chairs outside, the futon sofa in the basement, and a large mirror that came with the house...oops I feel a little guilty about that one.) Plus it should fund the living room set we'll need at the other end.

-Jrex is off on a solo backpacking trip to the Adirondacks. He left Sunday and is due back on Friday. No cell phone contact, no email. I'm finding out how wide and deep silence can feel.

-We told my separation anxiety client I'm moving. She took it well the first day. In days since she's started calling me to tell me she's scared of losing me as her security blanket. I get to be the first-day-of-kindergarden-mom, "Honey, you'll be fine. You're a big girl now. You can do this!"

-The woman my bosses subcontracted to replace me is SLOW!!! She's been working on three graphics for 2 weeks. She was supposed to do multiple shows so I could train her, but she's down to the one big show. Granted the panels are huge and she is unfamiliar with the products, but she works slow, processes slow, and asks me to stop and discuss piddly details. I'd be fine talking and talking and talking if I wasn't over here trying to design four other shows in the time she's working on one. Oh yeah, and I still have other client work to do! Yesterday I was so disgusted with the nitpicky questions, I moved my laptop into her office so I could just turn around to say yes or no.

-Because I don't think she's a good fit for separation anxiety client, it's been hard to reassure the client when she calls to ask about this woman.

-They've yet to hire the other person who is supposed to replace me doing prepress and supplemental design work. Two people to replace me. Flattering, but it would have been nice if they'd paid me accordingly...

-In other people's news, RyGuy has just not discussed the surrogate mom issue with his girlsfriend since she mentioned it. I think he's hoping it will just go away on its own. That's how he handles most relationship conflict. So far he's proved three times that you can make it for 1-2 years doing that, but eventually it all falls apart.

On the bright side though, after Friday I only have two more weeks!!! I'll be dancing in the streets chanting "Free at last, free at last, thank God Almighty I'm free at last!!" I'll be out of town the whole next week, so they can't even call me to demand anything!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I get to be the first-day-of-kindergarden-mom, "Honey, you'll be fine. You're a big girl now. You can do this!"

I think what you meant to write was, "I get to be the kindergartner stepping onto the bus on the first day, telling her sobbing mother, 'Honey, you'll be fine. You're a big girl now. You can do this!'"

At least the S.A.C. isn't going to come home at the end of the day and demand macaroni and cheese for dinner.

OTRgirl said...

Funny! I can see your girl doing that. I love her independence and confidence.

For my Mom it was a bit reversed. The bus never picked me up the first day so she had to take me to school. As I lined up with the other kids, I turned around and saw her in an office sorting out the bus situation. I burst into tears so she had to swallow hers and deliver the line.

Anonymous said...

i am excited that things are wrapping up for you. sounds like you're definitely ready to be in a new phase of life. 2 more weeks...you can do it too!!

Inkling said...

Just catching up on your writing and wanted to say hello. Please keep this up even after you move. It's always encouraging and enlightening. Gosh....this virtual world makes the real world not seem so huge.....