July 10, 2006

So Sad

This makes me cry.

I know I'll be fine once we're in California (we're supposed to be there October 1) but right now I'm sad and depressed. I was fine while I was busy getting the house ready, but now that it's done I have time to feel all the yuck of having to sell our house. It's hard to describe how perfect the house has been for us; it just fits our living patterns. It's by no means the perfect house, but its been perfect for us these last four years.

Our realtor did an open house on Sunday (as instructed in earlier comments, I made brownies). Nine groups came through. But no offers yet. Wednesday there is a brokers' open house. I just want an offer so I can stop obsessing thinking about it so much.

Our realtor called to tell me how well everything went. "The previous owner's wife came through! Isn't she the reason they had to sell the house to begin with? How messed up would that be?!" I agreed, "It's even worse than you know! She made them sell the house so she could get money to help her on-line boyfriend buy a house in Scotland. They've broken up and she can't get her money back now." According to her son (who helps me do landscaping projects) Ex-Wife can't afford the house. It makes me sad to think of her trading in her house, family and lifestyle for a tiny apartment and not much of a job. She seems like a stark example of what can happen after exchanging the bad/ good of reality for a 'what-if' fantasy.

I'm in a bad place at work. I just want to focus on leaving and everything I have to do to get ready for a new life in California. That means I'm just doing time in the office. I have a client coming in today at 3 to look at some design work, and I've barely put any time into it. I just don't care. Which isn't like me.

Sigh. Anybody want to buy a great house in Baltimore? Wanna start a bidding war? Soon?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Damn! If it wasn't Baltimore, I'd be there in a minute. Our price range, our size...sigh. I can't believe the price for your place, though; how did Baltimore escape the pricing madness of Fairfax County? The much smaller houses in our neighborhood are going for upwards of $450,000.

I'm thinking you'll sell sooner rather than later... :)

Anonymous said...

Baltimore...how far to NYC? You never know. Maybe my JRex will get a bee in his bonnet to live in Maryland. It's kinda even in our price range. Sorta.

I agree with Lori--you'll sell the house sooner than you think. And I agree with you. It's always sad to leave a good house.

Linda said...

I'm sure you and JRex have a lot of good memories in that house. Hopefully a great couple or family will buy the house. and soon!

Anonymous said...

ooh. I just found this via the same database...

your place looks soooo much more appealing than the big man's!

L.

weigook saram said...

What a great house! I would be crying too, if I were you. Wow, I wish we lived in a place where we could get such a nice house for that price.

Unknown said...

My husband spent some time in Baltimore, and loved it--it was one of the places we wanted to visit, and I certainly would have considered a job there, had one been offered. Your house is lovely; I can only echo the hope that some wonderful, deserving people will snap it up and keep the happy vibe you have had there.

Unknown said...

Wow! I just moved from Maryland (College Park), and wish I could buy your house. A house like that in Florida where I live would run about $500,000 or more, especially considering the fact that you actually have a yard.

I know some people in B'more still, but none who need a house. Sorry, and good luck. I know how bad the real estate market is right now.

Aimee said...

I'm sorry listing the house is making you sad. It's hard to leave a place that has become part of you.

You could be house poor like me. lol. But I don't love our old house like you love yours. I think it has something to do with the fact my husband bought it with his ex-wife. (Ouch) So, it never really felt like "home" to me, KWIM? THAT even though they had divorced long before I was part of the picture. But still...

I just want to say that I *love* this house! It's so cute. Looks perfect. Your hard work has really paid off. As other posters have said, I'm sure it will sell very soon. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Wow. the house looks GREAT! i'm sorry you'll be going, but am excited to see what's next for you guys. It's amazing how fast you've gotten things ready; i am proud of you! and, to top it all off, you have a great realtor!!!

Anonymous said...

I don't know why I didn't click the link before. I love your house! If I were in Baltimore...