January 19, 2006

You might want to reconsider that dinner invitation after you read this

I’ve theorized for years that if the temperature in one’s work environment were closer to the seasonal temperature, we would acclimatize better. It seemed bizarre to wear cardigans to work in the summer. Thinking of every office building in the country freezing its workers in summer and roasting them in winter seemed wasteful and silly to me. This year I’ve proved my theory.

I work in an Historic Mill Centre [sic] with no insulation. In the winter we have one space heater for our large computer room. In the summer, a single AC unit in the window. Last year I froze at work every day. I couldn't get warm, my toes were numb, I hated it. Being at home was cozy, being at work was hell frozen over.

This year we decided to leave our home thermostat at 60 degrees all the time. I assumed I would have a long, shivering winter; but the thought of rising gas prices and corresponding heating bill stayed my hand when it twitched toward the thermostat. We do have a space heater in the bathroom, and a down comforter on the bed. Between those two things (and fleece blankets on the sofa), I’ve been quite comfortable. Even better, I’ve become genuinely used to the weather. I can go outside without shivering, I rarely need long-johns, and my hands and feet aren’t ice cubes this year.

I notice the cold only when people come over. Anything above 65 degrees feels tropical to us, but I know that’s the lower end of most people’s toleration. I feel bizarre that it’s turned ‘up’ to 65, but grateful that our heating bills have been almost constant compared to last year. Fortunately, we have guest slippers and a down vest I cheerfully bestow on visitors.

Cold comfort?

3 comments:

Linda said...

I am cold just reading this.

We have some friends who don't even turn the heat on in the winter, both to save money on the ridiculously rising heating prices and because they actually like living in (frigid!) chilly temperatures. I have to admit, I dread going over to their house during the winter because I end up sitting on their couch with a blanket wrapped around my body.

I like to keep our apartment at 70 when I'm home. This sounds very high but I am a very miserable, cranky person when I'm cold. Maybe I should move to Florida?

Anonymous said...

When we lived in Lantern Court that first year, money was so tight we kept the heat at 50 degrees and cranked it to 55 or even 60 when guests came over. I was always so frustrated that people never took us up on our offers of hospitality.

We'll come to dinner. We're Arctic people.

scarp said...

We keep ours at 66, which is a couple degrees cooler than last year. And we've adjusted to it pretty easily. But our windows are awful and the place is very drafty. (oh the joys of renting..) So if we turned it down too low, and then those cold Rochester winds started just blowing through the house, it would be pretty darn cold.
It's pretty interesting how well you've adjusted, though...
-sheila