January 25, 2006

OK, OK, I get it, I'm a bit quirky

I have this weird thing I do in relationships (among many other things). If something deep is going on for me and I don’t feel I can share it with the other person, then I have a hard time thinking of anything to say. It’s like, compared to the core issue, everything else feels unimportant. Lighter. Somehow less substantial or vital.

In the last week Jrex and I have had three significant discussions. One thing we’ve always done well as a couple is talk through issues. I love that I married a man who is willing to discuss ideas, issues, and emotions. But each discussion raised different things for each of us. It’s the main topic on my mind, but the last thing I want to write about. (NO ONE wants to read 10 pages of explaining and analyzing. Heck, I wouldn’t want to read it, much less write it!) I’m doing the same thing with this blog that I do in life: if I don’t talk about that, what do I say? I already used up my AmEx idea . . . But I know OTRsis and OTRmama will beat me up if I don’t say SOMETHING. No pressure, right?

I could write about how cute my dog is in our Pre-Agility class; how I spent all day Saturday doing watercolor bookmarks to give to some friends; how great it felt to do art again; that my hubby and his advisor got a grant that will pay Jrex’s salary for the next two years; how Muttola kept trying to console/distract us during our discussions; how my Dad wants to live a dream through me (and can laughingly acknowledge that about himself); how glad I am to have friends who listen.

All good, all worthwhile, but overshadowed by a lot of other thoughts in my mind. It’ll be different tomorrow. Sometimes just acknowledging it’s hard to talk about something makes it easy to find another thing to talk about. Does that make any sense?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Take your time. No pressure.

I'm similar, actually. If I don't have something deep or dramatic going on in my life I feel like I don't have much to say.

But I won't trade in the peace for a conversational topic, so I guess my friends just have to suffer.

scarp said...

I am not that way, usually, but I can understand it. However, you have made me curious about all those other things you mentioned so briefly...