January 7, 2006

I'm just doing my job

Obviously, the main purpose of an aunt or an uncle is the proper corruption of the niece or nephew. I have begun as I mean to go on: I've taught M 'the bump'.

When I was a baby I hated to be kissed. So my Dad came up with an alternate form of affection. He would say, 'bump' and we would gently touch foreheads. This visit both my Dad and I have been doing the bump with M. Yesterday morning my sister was holding the baby and suddenly M leaned toward me head first. "Oh, ok. Yes, ma'am," I exclaimed and leaned in to bump heads. M sat back with a satisfied expression. K and I kept talking. Then M leaned again. Bump. She sat back. We did this ten times. Clearly, the corruption was extensive, but was it complete?

Last night my sister hosted a King's Day party. Quick explanation: my mother hated doing so much buildup to a one-day gift orgy. She decided we would celebrate the 12 days of Christmas. We opened one gift Christmas eve and one on Christmas Day. Each day after that we opened an envelope on the tree and followed instructions: look at Christmas lights, go to the zoo, open 1 gift, visit the trains at CG&E, etc. Then on the 12th day (Epiphany/King's Day/January 6th) we opened our big gifts. She also did a King's Day open house which featured three king's cakes (braided sweet bread). In each cake a quarter wrapped in foil was buried. Whoever found a quarter was king for the day/year (depending on one's interpretation).

For my sister's party: people came, people ate, kids wore triumphant crowns. Then, near the end of the evening, K held M and chatted with a friend. I was standing nearby. The friend's daughter stood grinning at M. Who leaned expectantly toward her. I laughed triumphantly, "She wants you to bump foreheads with her." The girl did and M sat back with a satisfied grin.

Mission Accomplished.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ok, but isn't being an aunt one of the coolest things ever? are you absolutely loving your time with your little niece? (i mean, sisters are cool and all, but a niece...) ;)
-sheila