November 10, 2006

The Job Front

Here's an article about thirty-somethings that helps explain why I don't have a job yet. (Thanks for the forward, Aunt Gemstone!) The bottom line is that for most people my age, we want a job we feel passionate about. It's true. After a job interview I usually send a thank you card. Well, after last week's interview, I didn't want to. It would have been a neat job in some ways, but busy, cluttered, and disorganized. I just don't want to commute for 45 minutes to get somewhere I'm not excited about.

I did an interview back in September with an exhibit design firm in Oakland. Two weeks ago I tried the drive there from my apartment during the tail end of rush hour. It took 45 minutes. I was supposed to call him to touch base about whether I'm interested in an interview. I haven't yet because I don't want to drive an hour and a half for work every day, but at the same time, I don't want to shut the door. I would be excited about working there. But I haven't seen what's available closer to home. I have an interview on Tuesday with a creative placement firm in San Francisco. That should help me get shorter-term contract work, or possibly a full-time job. In the meantime, I'm going to mail a card today to my Oakland contact telling him I'd be interested if they have a position available. Because at the end of the day, no matter whether it's practical for my future career, I want to be passionate about my work.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Some article. Excellent NY sociology.

As Emerson said, "Young people should be
careful about deciding what they want from
life, because they are very likely to get it."

Evidently, the Holy Spirit places deep within
each of us a calling and purpose for our lives.
And we are challenged to discover that
inner need. And then we're challenged:
What are you going to do about it?
Do we have the courage to follow
Jesus' lead?

So, either you can take the world as it is -- and
try to find a job that approximates your inner
self. Or, you can try to create the world you
want and need.

And you know where that leads.