November 8, 2006

Invisibility Cloak


One of the things I'm finding strange here is that I feel invisible. I have no connections here, heck, I hardly ever pass the same strangers on the street. Somehow I feel like I could do anything because who would care? Leave the dog's poop in 8 inch deep ivy on a road no one ever walks but me? Sure! Walk around with the same clothes and hat day after day, why not? White socks with sandals? It's a fashion statement! I'm becoming that eccentric woman you wonder about. The one you hope never stops to talk to you. It's sort of freeing, really. No connections equals no accountability.

When we went to vote the woman who checked us in exclaimed, "Oh, ____ Street, you're my neighbor!" With those five words, she stripped my invisibility cloak.

2 comments:

weigook saram said...

I kind of like being invisible. As you said, you can get away with more.

Anonymous said...

Man, it's like losing a super-power.