June 24, 2007

Emo* Again

I couldn't believe this got me through to a human being:

"411"
"City and State, what listing?"
"University Hospital."
"One moment, please...."
"University Hospital, may I help you?"

"I need the maternity ward?"

"Hold and I'll connect you."
"9-West, how can I help you?"

"Is OTRsis there?"

"Please hold..."

"Hello, OTRgirl!!"

It's not supposed to be that easy. I tracked her down while walking to work Friday. I'm the pround aunt of Soltice Baby, aka Minor Prophet. I haven't seen him yet so I can't give him a descriptive name like Blond Niece. Let's just say that the name he was given offended my Dad. As a sporadically loyal Harvard Man, any reference to that OTHER school (starts with a Y and is four letters long) is offensive. His new grandson shares the name that Those People are called. Mind you, I'd never heard of it until he told me, so if you don't know, you're in good company.

My brother called me on Saturday, quite proud of the fact that he's foregone his Reds/Mariners tickets in order to be there when Minor Prophet came home from the hospital. OTRsis is doing well and the baby sounds perfect, of course.

OTRsis commented that it was much harder to have her in-laws there than me. Only because I gave her credit for her stoicism while they took it for granted. Me: "You never even screamed at me! I didn't know you were in labor!! All you did was get quiet. Maybe a few hurried requests for more ice chips toward the end of the labor, but that was it!" Them: "Oh, you have contractions? Let's go for a walk, we'll stop each time you need to."

-------
*Emo or 'Imo' as I like to spell it, is the Korean word for aunt. I've never liked the nasal midwestern pronunciation of "ant" and certainly never liked the slightly pretentious "Aunt" so I figured Blonde Niece could appropriate at will. So far she calls us "Imo" and "Jrex" (she uses his Korean name). She calls my brother "Uh-oh Dee", a completely apt title for the man who tries to instigate her to dump displays in the grocery store.

10 comments:

Rachel said...

Congratulations, Emo! And OTRsis. I didn't even know she was pregnant. How exciting! I can't wait to hear more.

Beloved said...

Congratulations!!! Can't wait to see pictures.

Anonymous said...

Is he counted as a minor prophet? I just thought he was Samuel's mentor. I guess I should know these things. :)

Your blog made me laugh.

We're doing great. I'll send pictures soon. I wish OTR girl could share them with the internets but I can't mess with Daddy's protective instincts. But he looks like pretty much every other newborn anyway.

OTRgirl said...

I was thinking more of his middle name and the overall Biblical tone of both of them together.

Aimee said...

Congrats Emo and OTRsis!

Now I have to dig into the depths of my memory to Old Testament Lit. @ ORU to remember the minor prophets... no time for that this morning, but maybe this afternoon.

The Y*** thing... I've never heard of it.

PS: University Hospital... Hmm... wonder if it's the same one at which I'll be delivering my lil' fighter.

Snickollet said...

Congratulations on becoming an Emo again and to OTRsis for the arrival of her second little one! Wonderful. Keep us posted.

Minor Prophet *almost* shares a b-day with the twins. It's a great time of year to have a birthday, I think.

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! (I like to write "Imo" as well - my sister is called "Momo" by LN)
:-) Minor Prophet... that should be a title of a book or something.

Anonymous said...

Congrats otrsis & otrgirl!! Can't wait to see the pics.
I agree that otrsis should get some kind of maternity award...she goes down water slides in her 3rd trimester & doesn't break sweat in labor. :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Love the new look too!

I can't believe you got her via phone that route either, sometimes Ma Bell and her offspring do a great job!

-Lil'sis

Anonymous said...

Yes, congratulations, Emo Imo. I've seen the pics of the little guy and he is so precious. I can't wait to hold him! If you did crossword puzzles you'd know that Ivy League thing. It's a NY Times crossword standard.