September 7, 2006

Long Term Relationship

Bay Area, we're going to have to come to terms. I met you briefly a number of years ago, but now that we're going to be in a longer term relationship I have to be honest about my concerns.

1. You're brown. I know it's not right to judge someone based on their color, but I've been a green girl for a long time. Ya' know, in a seasonal sort of way. Sure you have green trees, but they're more of a gray green. The only bright green you have is the sort that makes me feel guilty water is being wasted on your vain attempts to replicate England. What's wrong with golfing in honest sand?

2. You're crowded. I'm more into an exclusive relationship. I don't know if I appreciate having to share so much time and space with so many other people. Especially since the only real way to get to know you is to crawl up or down one of your 'freeways'. I mean, thanks for not charging tolls and all, but could you start moving your harem a little faster?

3. You're real. I think I liked us better as a long-distance theoretical couple. Until I flew in yesterday I was fine with moving (mostly). But it was all a theory. This is real. I am actually moving to California! Am I crazy? What am I thinking? I have to drive FOREVER to get to you. With a dog. Without driving my husband to drink as I twist and turn with restless energy and whine for hours.

Sigh. I'll keep trying, but I would appreciate some gestures on your part that you really want me here. Like a fantastic apartment with access to bike/hike trails, easy access to Stanford, my unknown future job, and very quiet neighbors. Today. Then, for the rest of the weekend, I can enjoy the friends I'm staying with and get to know your softer side.

3 comments:

Inkling said...

No, this is not California writing in reply. However, I'm here to offer some encouragement. There are some fabulous restaurants there, and you get to store really cool things in your apartment and car like "earthquake survival kits". That being said, you are just a few states away from where I live. As long as you are on the same side of the world as B.C., you and JRex really should take time to explore the rainy climes known for their greenery. California is also known for awesome produce, and you could try that cool "100 mile diet" where you only eat food grown or produced within a 100 mile radius. Okay, okay, so I can't do anything to take away the brown-ness of the parched state. Maybe your landlord will let you paint green murals on your walls.

(and this is just my vain attempt to be funny and humor you....sorry if it's a bit lame)

OTRgirl said...

Thanks for the suggestions! I did pass a market today with fresh figs and 4 ears of corn for $1. I'm excited about the food options. There are Korean BBQs on every corner, I've seen a British pub, heard of "Uncle Frank's BBQ", and drooled over produce selections in the market.

I like the green mural concept...

weigook saram said...

Yes, it's brown, crowded, and expensive. But there are great farmers' markets and amazing ethnic restaurants. I don't know much about Palo Alto, but there is sooooo much to do in the area. Muir Woods. Land's End. Riding the ferry across the bay. Golden Gate Park, Mission Dolores...