November 16, 2005

DC photos

In the Smithsonian magazine's current issue on 35 Who've Made a Difference, they included a piece on Maya Lin, architect of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial. I love her work. Rather than cash in on her early success, she's chosen a less public path which integrates her interests in monuments, sculpture, texture, and meaning. I respect that she extensively researches a project in order to render a seemingly simple, yet profoundly right solution.

These are photos I took last year in DC with my climbing partner and friend. She's been sick lately and is no longer able to climb. We both hope it's temporary, but it's been 6 weeks now with no end in sight. She came to visit last night. I hadn't realized how much I missed her til then. It took 2 years to find someone with whom I could enjoy climbing. It's easy to find someone to belay me on the wall, but hard to find someone I enjoy as a person (who also kicks my butt in determination, and has a similar climbing ability and style). We never even got a chance to climb outside together. We've been cheated and it makes me really mad for both of us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

:(

-- the friend and former climbing partner