May 16, 2009


We're coming down to the wire with all the design for the two shows in June. All the big stuff is dealt with, just lots and lots of little things.

I've realized that part of why I've been enjoying my design life (if we take out the managing/juggling elements of my job) of late is that I've been able to focus on the Big Show and not deal with the TOTAL chaos of the Little Bastard Show that is happening in the two days leading up to the Big Show. Little Bastard has a client who is one, and an event manager on our side who is emotional, passionate and very scattered. Oh, and English is her second language--so when she gets emotional or stressed (often), her communication becomes even more confusing. Little Bastard also has a head marketing guy who is vague in his directions. He always thinks things aren't that big a deal, so he doesn't force himself to get the info until it's a fire-drill. I've been sucked back into signage for Little Bastard as well as a couple other little things.

No wonder I hated my life before leaving for surgery: all I worked on was the Little Bastard show. On the Big Show, I've been given free reign as a designer. I've earned the trust of both the account exec and the client-side branding woman. Most of what I do gets one or two tweaks, but it's been a very quick, very organized process. Plus, this year, I will get to see two entire buildings covered with graphics I designed. How cool is that?

The other redeeming feature has been the knowledge that because the company is being bought, this is the last year for either show. It's neat to be part of the grand finale and I will be more than overjoyed to wave goodbye to the Bastard.

Just think, three weeks from today, Jrex and I will be in Vancouver (Lord willing and circumstances permitting...). I knew I would need a carrot to get me through this final sprint and between those two (the ending and the vacation), I'm able to make it.

In other news, my Dad is here for a week before heading up to Seattle for Blond Niece's birthday. I don't think he believed me when I warned him that I might not have much time to hang out on the weeknights during this sprint phase of the project. He's about to find out...

We're having a fun weekend before I disappear. Today was the open house at the US Geological Society. I kind of expected that they'd have the map room open and we'd wander through one building. Instead, they had six tents, numerous buildings, displays, talks, demos, food, bands. We got to sit in an earthquake demo trailer (that was a front for a group selling earthquake emergency kits). We heard a talk where the guy used a crank system, surgical elastic, sandpaper and bricks to explain the physics of earthquakes. He also passed on a tidbit: get a flat whistle that you can attach to your key chain so you always have it with you. If you're trapped under fallen debris, you have an hour or so you'll be able to yell, then you'll use up all your moisture and be unable to continue. If you have a whistle though, you can continue for hours. Plus, the sound carries better than any yells.

The other tip for the day is to go see "Every Little Step", a documentary about the casting of the revival of A Chorus Line. We just got back. I've got songs I'm completely unable to sing stuck in my head, dance moves I can't even imagine going through my mind and a very satisfied feeling after seeing it.


Inkling said...

If you are headed to Vancouver as in Vancouver, BC and not Washington, you should bring your climbing gear and head just another 90 minutes to Squamish. It's totally worth it, and is our favorite climbing spot. In fact, I'm hoping it's our son's first word. =)

Have fun once this show is over and you can breathe!

Asianmommy said...

Interesting tidbit about the whistle. Makes a lot of sense.