August 31, 2009

I LOVE to fly!

Wednesday I flew to Roanok5 with three of my coworkers. Once there, I stayed up until 1:30 AM EST working on the final presentation. Woke at 6 AM to get ready, eat, print our script, rehearse and get to the pitch. We got to the client, set up, did the song and dance, packed up and raced back to the airport. Thursday afternoon we jumped back on planes to get home.

On the plane back, I shared a row with a very polite teenage boy. He offered to help me put my suitcase in the overhead bin, offered me a Tic Tac. Played his gameboy with earphones. We didn't have anyone in the middle seat and I was VERY happy with my seat placement. I sprang for the 'nap sack' with blanket, eye mask, ear plugs and neck roll and settled in to sleep the whole way home...

This is the part where you expect the crying baby, right? Hah! There were no children in sight. I'd finally wrestled away my anxieties about the pitch. I knew it had felt flat and not great, so I kept sloshing scenes around and around in my head. I FINALLY drifted off, when, for some reason the teenage kid decided it would be a good idea to work out his restlessness by drumming on the trayback table. For fifteen minutes. Then HE promptly fell asleep and left me with 5 hours left to read four magazines and stare out the window.

Movie? None on US A1rw@ys.

Oh, and dinner? They ran out of food.

The pitch? It didn't go well. We found out today that we didn't get the job. Sigh.

My next trip is Saturday. It's a much longer post, but basically, Mom K has decided to let Dad K be comfort care. They transfer him to hospice on Friday. She specifically asked that I come while he's still alive, so Jrex and I are trying to fly out together on Saturday. One of our friends here is giving me her airline miles. Another couple has agreed to watch the mutt. My boss told me I don't even have to pretend to 'work from home' while I'm there.

We're feeling relieved, peaceful and definitely sad. And hoping for no crying or drumming on the flight there!


Rachel said...

Sorry you didn't get the job, after all that suffering. Flying is no fun these days. (With the exception of Air Canada, which rocks.)

It must have been so hard for her to make that decision, but it sounds like it was the right one. I will pray for peace and comfort for everyone.

Anonymous said...

Blessings on your stay with your in-laws.
You're all in my prayers, as well as with
the fellowship at P/P.

Next time someone needlessly annoys
you on the plane, tell them. Like with
the drumming teenager --
"You rehearsing for a gig in Virginia?
No? Then please postpone practice.
I've got a gig, and I need the sleep."

Inkling said...

Thinking of you and praying for you guys as you travel to be with your inlaws.

Thank you, too, for all your encouragement. It is very much appreciated. I figure Jesus must have a blogging get together planned for Heaven so we can all meet up someday. =)

Mama Nabi said...

Thinking of you and JRex... the coming days of waiting and grieving will be hard for Mom K but also for both of you. Take care of yourselves, okay?

I used to love to fly but not anymore. I think I flew too much as a child.

Snickollet said...

What a difficult decision for Mom K. May it bring peace for everyone.

Safe travels.