July 9, 2009

This really sucks

Dad K, my FIL, fell off a ladder this morning and hit his head on concrete. He just got out of surgery to relieve pressure from the resulting head bleed. He's on a vent and has yet to truly regain consciousness. The next couple days are crucial. Jrex and his sister are jetting across the country to be with Mom K. I'm glad they'll have each other as they wade through the morass of medical decisions and implications. They really are the classic Asian Kid Double Threat: doctor and lawyer to the rescue.

My thoughts are all over the place.

-Dad K drove us nuts on this last visit. I DON'T want that as my final memory of him. Beneath his obliviousness, he could be surprisingly kind and generous and I'd like to collect a few more of those memories. He truly had been changed by his encounter with Jesus over 20 years ago and became a gruff man capable of gentleness (rather than a furious man with just enough control to not hit a wife or child). He hand-copied the ENTIRE Bible over the last two years and had just started on his second round. As much as I wouldn't trust him to babysit if we ever have kids, I want him there to meet another grandchild.

-However, IF he won't fully recover, it's better if this is the end. He is an impatient man who needs to move and DO things. If he's bedridden but alert, we would all suffer, him most of all. He made that clear a couple years ago to Jrex: no heroic measures. No long-term nursing care. Quick is better than lingering.

What's really strange is that we've expected him to get sick for a long time. This is just too sudden and too extreme. It feels like someone gave us the wrong script, but then, I'm sure that's the way it feels with any sudden accident.

11 comments:

scarp said...

Wow. This type of thing is just so intense. We´ll be praying. (There was a sudden accident in Rochester Sunday that affected people I know, so I feel this one even more, if you know what I mean...)

mary said...

Wow. I pray for peace during this time for all of you... I"m so glad to read that he knew Jesus.

Asianmommy said...

I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope he recovers quickly.

Rachel said...

I hope he is okay. It is so hard to see someone you love suffer like that. My thoughts and prayers are with all of you.

Inkling said...

Oh my goodness. What a shock! From all you've written about your inlaws, I always picture them as so active and ready to take on the world. To have that suddenly change like this must be so hard for everyone. You guys will definitely be in my prayers. And I'm not just typing that, but really mean that. I'm so glad Jesus is in the equation of your lives, and that your FIL knows Him.

Anonymous said...

Tragic. My prayers are with the Kims.

Please send updates as swiftly as you
know more.

Lil'Sis said...

I'm praying for your FIL and the whole family...I hope it has a good outcome.

lots of love,
lil'sis

Liz W. said...

The situation is worse than I realized from Jrex' email. So sorry. Hoping for the best for all of you. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help. - Liz W.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you know, super-sudden family events like these really strike a chord with me. My thoughts are with Jrex and his family, and I very much hope that your FIL will make a strong, speedy and complete recovery.

jooliyah said...

oh no. your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. I hope he has a speedy recovery.

Snickollet said...

I'm so sorry to read this. I'm thinking of your whole family, hoping for the best.

XOXOXOXO