December 12, 2005

When you just can't pick one event

Christmas Party Saturday night. Each table was a team on a scavenger hunt based on life experiences. Jrex was surprised to realize he’s been on four continents (Korea, USA, England, Brazil). We proudly admitted not having showered for a week (backpacking), seeing a bear (ditto), and touching one’s nose with one’s tongue (me). With 21 out of 25 we thought our table might win. We were bested by another table where someone had skydived, ballroom danced, and was fluent in four languages. FOUR?!! I barely handle one!
---
We helped a friend do the most organized move EVER. She used duct tape for content labels, a color label for room placement, and another color for fragile labels where appropriate. The movers were an hour late, and by the time they got there we had everything but the bulky stuff down on the sidewalk waiting to load in the U-Haul. I’m from the ‘let the professionals earn their keep’ school, but Jrex and our friend believe in the ‘do or die’ method. They have little contests at work about who is a worse workaholic. She triumphantly announced at 7:30 on a Saturday morning, “You’ve been here for 30 minutes already? You’re a workaholic!” Fortunately I strained my lower back bringing down the TV (no, really, I did, I swear), so then I could just play Tetris with the truck contents.
---
In the afternoon between the move and the party I knew I needed to get the dog tired out. Our neighbors across the alley have a long, fenced-in yard and two dogs. The woman who lives there came to our 2nd Annual Halloween-Open-Yard-Party and seemed really cool. I walked over with Muttola and knocked on their door. When she answered I said, “I have a strange proposition … could my dog play with your dogs?” Amy and I ended up chatting and laughing in the backyard as the dogs sniffed each other. Jada definitely watched her back. She kept slapping big boy Bingo in the face when he got fresh with her. Eventually she and Bingo fell in love. Neither of them are equipped to fulfill their raging passion, but they were able to chase cars along the fence together, sniff at squirrels, play tug of war, and pee on the same tree. Ah, young love…
---
Last night we went to see The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe. It’s hard to make talking animals work without feeling cheesy, but they did it. Lucy was perfect. She’s the heart of that story, and goes through a huge range of emotions, and the little actress was believable and made you fall in love with her. Even Aslan was great. I never realized how soothing and beautiful Liam Neeson’s voice is. He could read me bedtime stories anytime!

No comments: